Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 23 - Aussie 2011

We took it really easy today.  We had had our fling snorkeling and hiking and camping and swimming and touring all over the Cairns area and now we were settling things down.

I mentioned before that there was a public pool open and free for anyone to use.  Well, I know I mentioned one in Brisbane and there is one in Cairns too.  And that was all that was on our agenda today!

So, we took our time getting up and getting everything packed.  We kept our bags at the hostel while we went out to spend the day at the pool.  It was VERY sunny and hot so it was a good day for the pool.  We got in right away but it was COOOLD.  Unfortunately, the pool was loaded with chlorine too so my eyes felt like they were burning away!  Darn, that's a bummer!  Still, we enjoyed the dip and then went to nap on our towels on the grass nearby.  We kept going between the sun and the shade, napping and reading.  Really that was about it.  Swim, nap, and read for about four or five hours.

We did stop at McDonalds for lunch and I had to laugh at a guy working there who came into the dining area to clean up.  He would inspect everything he picked up, looking inside hamburger boxes, fry boxes, soda cups.  If he found something, he would eat it or drink it.  After he was finished with the leftovers, he would throw everything away.  I was thinking, 'Hey, he is very thorough about cleaning up after people.'  No, actually, I am sure he was a little bit special and we both thought it was cool that McDonalds hires people who can do a job, even if they're not all there 100%.

We went back to the hostel for our bags and got picked up by a shuttle and taken to the airport.  Nick was bummed to leave his book on the shuttle, "The Hunt for Red October."  Now what was he gonna do!

The Royal Wedding was getting started as we were lifting off.  It was on the little TVs in front of us.  I just drew some pictures and Nick was able to find a Sudoku game in the in-flight magazine.  Unfortunately, the kid in front of me was a pill.  He would not sit still and his parents were trying to man-handle him down.  Then he kept lifting the arm of his chair up and down and it squeeked every time.  Uh, can we stop that soon?

After about three hours, we arrived in Sydney and had to pay the ridiculous price to get back to the same hostel we started our journey at.  The guy checking us in was SO slow.  I think it took us a good 30 minutes to get checked in, if not longer.  Some people were watching the Royal Wedding on a big TV downstairs but I was too tired to be interested.  We took our beds and were asleep pretty early, ready for one more day in Australia.

Pictures:

I thought there was a beach at Cairns but found out, luckily while planning at home, that there is only mud!


Here I am at the public pool that overlooks the mud.  When the tide comes in, there is a shallow covering of water over the mud.  The fish had water pouring from them.

It was a really big pool that got more and more shallow (or deeper) depending on your direction, but very gradually.

Here we are at the shallow end and this is about the only picture I have of Aboriginies, those kids playing by the rocks.

No comments: