Monday, March 28, 2016

The Final Countdown - Third Trimester

Hello and welcome to the third trimester, filled with excitement, anticipation, and a whole lot of largeness!

I’m coming up on 28 weeks now and it feels good to be here. Each day that passes is one day closer to a healthy baby outside the womb. And boy, is he ever healthy! He is kicking and punching and moving all around. It’s so reassuring to feel that throughout the day and it’s fascinating to feel the different movements and wonder what in the world is happening in there! I’ve felt him kicking my hip bone, as far to the side as you can get, and I can’t imagine how he’s all the way over there. Sometimes I feel like he’s just trying to bust his way out already. Makes me nervous for when he’s a few pounds heavier!

We had another look at him on ultrasound a few weeks ago, probably our last one until he makes his big debut. I’d made the decision to go with the Riverton doctor. Even though they didn’t allow recording of the ultrasound, I loved everything else about my experience there so I figured it was the better choice, especially with the nicer hospital. We actually had Nick sneak some footage of the ultrasound but it didn’t quite work out anyway and that was okay. It’s more fun to watch when the baby is moving all around and he wasn’t quite as active this time, nor was he in the best position for great photos. But he looked healthy and strong and is still measuring five days ahead, which is all good news and what matters most.

I got to talk to the doctor a little more at this visit. He’s definitely very funny and I’m feeling more comfortable with him. We mostly talked about the possibility of a scheduled induction. We have a very busy summer with a lot going on right around his due date. It’d be nice to have his delivery scheduled so we can make set plans instead of them being all up in the air until the last minute. I hate to miss out on the excitement of going into labor on my own but that’s about the only downside, and he could always come on his own before that too. The doctor said I could be induced at 39 weeks, which works for me. We’re too far from the due date to talk too seriously about it right now. The doctor said he’d be happy to have that conversation with me because it means we made it that far!


Of course he’s referring to my risk for developing pre eclampsia again. It’s such an odd condition – your body basically reacting negatively to the placenta - and it hits much more often with first pregnancies than with others. But I’m still at risk and I’m suddenly feeling very aware of that risk now that I’m into my third trimester. Fortunately, I don’t have too many of the big risk factors, like diabetes, obesity, twins, or being over 40. But I did get it pretty early on and pretty severely the last time. It can happen any time after 20 weeks but is much more common after 37 weeks. I had my first symptoms at around 31 or 32 weeks and had to deliver Gavin at 33 weeks when my condition became severe and my lungs filled up with fluid. So we’re all going to feel very grateful for each week that passes without incident!

We have our hearts set on delivering in June, not only to avoid the pre eclampsia problems and deliver a healthy baby, but to take advantage of a brand new benefit offered at Nick’s new job. Starting June 1st, employees can take three weeks paid parental leave! That is so exciting and such a fantastic benefit for both parents! The baby will be 37 weeks by June 1st so we feel good about him coming at any point after that. Come on, baby, let’s make it to June!

It makes me wonder about the pre eclampsia issue and whether we’ll make it that far. I tried seeing if there were any ways to avoid it, but it sounds like you either get it or you don’t. That being said, it has made me a little more concerned about how I’m treating my body. The numbers on the scale paint a pretty good picture of just how poorly I’ve been treating myself these past few months and I’m not at all happy about it. I was in good shape before getting pregnant but was way too scared to work out once I started the in vitro process. It’s been a downward spiral since then and I’ve let myself get addicted to sugar and fall completely out of shape. So I’m feeling the need to make some changes now instead of waiting until the baby comes. I want to feel confident that I’m giving my baby the best chance at delivering full term and I know that delivery and recovery go much better when you’re healthy and fit anyway. 

So I want to make a commitment to stop drinking soda since it offers nothing good for you at all. And I want to cut out a lot of the sugar. My husband has been wanting to do the same so we’ll probably sit down and make a plan together. I know some people think pregnancy is a free pass to eat whatever but it really isn’t healthy and I’m definitely feeling it. Yuck.


With me starting my third trimester, I’m feeling a little antsy and wanting to get ready. I’ve at least figured out where I’m delivering and who my doctor will be. Thank goodness for that! But we’re still undecided on names and are now dealing with the reality of getting moved into a home before the baby comes. Searching for a home has been incredibly taxing and I’ve been struggling to sort out how we can get the most bang for our buck with this crazy competitive market we’re in.

After a whole lot of searching, we’re finally under contract for a home as of today! We love the home and the location is very convenient for Nick getting to work. But I’m not celebrating yet since we have inspections to do and will need to sort through any other negotiations that may come up. Once we get that behind us, hoping all goes well, then we’ll be set to move in at the end of April, giving me about six or seven weeks to prepare for the baby in our new home. It will be a very exciting time and I’m looking forward to it! Lots of changes ahead, but lots of good things. I’m feeling incredibly blessed.

Owning a home has long been a part of the American dream. But is it the right move for you right now? ©iStock/Thinkstock

In the meantime, I’ve been doing some babysitting to earn some extra money and have been working on my artwork. It’d be nice to actually earn some money from my art and one of my friends has been pushing me to make a coloring book. So I’m finally doing that. It’s been challenging but fun and I’m hoping it’ll actually pan out into something lucrative, even if it’s only a little bit. I know as the weeks go by, it’ll get harder and harder to focus on that stuff, especially with so much to do in getting ready to move and preparing for the baby. But those are fun and exciting things to keep me busy so I don’t mind!

This is a wonderful time. Gavin can be challenging but is just so darn cute and makes us laugh all the time. It is amazing how much he talks and how quickly he learns. Nick has his new job that is going well and giving us awesome new benefits. I’m working on fun projects at home and enjoying my time for hobbies and friends. We’re finally buying our first home and feeling really excited about it. And we have this little blessing doing acrobatics inside my belly. It’s just one of those seasons in life where you have to stop and appreciate how beautiful everything is. We know all about extreme highs and lows in this family and this is definitely an extreme high. We’ll take it!

Once we have things squared away, I’ll share more about the home and keep you posted on my progress with my health. In another month, this baby will have almost doubled in weight so it’s all the more reason for me to keep an eye on my own weight so I don’t end up falling over from an enormous belly. I’m feeling plenty large already with just a 2 lbs baby in there, and it’s getting uncomfortable to sleep and move too much. Yes, time to take better care of myself and my baby too. Or he might come out looking like a block of chocolate.

No comments: