Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ode to Basenjis

I'm not gonna lie. Basenjis are a real pain. For the most part, they lack those very things that make dogs so very lovable. They have very little desire to make you happy. Stealing food from the table when your back is turned is much more rewarding for them than praise. They are also lacking in loyalty. You open up a door and they'll run through it in a flash. Yeah, they will eventually come back home (you hope) but they aren't too concerned about staying by your side. They don't even like water. In fact, that's one way to punish them - throw them in the pool. It's awful for them, just like it would be for a cat. In many ways, owning a Basenji is like having a 2-year old around. You cannot leave them unattended for long or they will undoubtedly find trouble.

That being said, I am often reminded of ther positive qualities. One which is very unique is that they DO NOT bark! Interestingly, Basenji owners are often very excited when their dog does make a quick bark or a howl. But for the most part, we like our quiet companion.

Last night, probably around 3 am, our nextdoor neighbor's dog, who is some PitBull mix, started barking... and never stopped. I had opened the window before going to bed to enjoy the nice island breeze coming in. After the dog went on and on, I finally closed the window and covered my head with a pillow. This morning, a Humane Society truck came down our tiny little lane and went to their house. Someone must have finally gotten tired of the dog (actually there are two), and I must say, I am glad they came. Dogs bark but it is rude to not quiet them. But then, Basenji owners never have to deal with that in the first place.

... well, most of the time. Unless you own my dog, Marley, who is such a baby that he cannot be left alone without making a huge fuss all day long and then the neighbors call the police on my poor mother who is watching him. *sigh* Basenjis: painfully cute; painfully annoying.

2 comments:

Curt, Julie, Claire and Andrew said...

Oh my gosh I hate it when dogs bark on and on!!! It makes me crazy!! That is too funny yours barks when your mom is gone but not so fun when the police show up! Uh oh!! I remember your doggie!!! Its cute!!

The Burnetts said...

What? You have a blog too? I decided to poke around a little bit longer on facebook than I usually do, and I ran into a link on your blog!

Check ours out as well! (though we usually don't get around to updating it that much.)

Fun Fun Fun!