Have you ever heard of opportunity cost? It means that every
time you make a choice, you’re giving up the chance to do something else, the
chance to benefit from some other course of action. All moms know about
opportunity cost because they have to choose how to spend their time when the
kids are down for a nap. Do I gain more from taking a nap myself or from
getting something done around the house? Whatever you choose, you lose the
benefit of the other option. You can catch up on sleep, but the house will
still be messy. Or you can have a tidier home, but now you feel extra tired. Nothing
is free, including your time, and you have to make those choices and decide
which opportunity cost hurts less.
People who do in vitro, we know all about opportunity cost. Last
week, I went into our fertility clinic, slapped my checkbook down on the front
counter and declared, “I’m here to donate my arm and leg.” I wrote a few checks,
swiped my credit card, and spent about $13,000. How much is that even? Well, if
we put away $100 a month for our fertility fund, it’d take us about 11 years to
get the money needed for one cycle of in vitro. Eleven years!
What is my opportunity cost? Well, I can think of a whole
lot of things I could do with $13,000. That’d be a great travel fund right
there. We could go to New Zealand, Spain, and maybe even Africa. We’ve never
been on a cruise before so maybe we’d give that a try. More than anything, I’ve
been really itching to settle down and would sure would love to buy a home. One
of these days, we’ll have some savings and be able to put a down payment on a
house. We’ve also been a one car family for about two years now, with Nick
riding his bike to work, 26 miles roundtrip. That kind of money would make an
excellent down payment on a car. We’d probably even have some left over if we
wanted to buy used. Really, the list goes on and on. There’s just so much you
can do with $13,000.
But that money is going toward making another baby. We hope
so anyway. That’s the thing with in vitro. Ya never know what you’re paying for
until it’s over and done with.
Still, I can’t help but count my blessings and it’s good to
keep things in perspective. Infertility is really taxing and emotional and will
bleed you dry, but there is so much we enjoy that many people don’t. We have a
steady income. We may not be loaded but I can buy myself a pair of pants and
not worry about making it through the month because of my splurge. I can buy good
food for my family and afford to make healthy meals. We can afford a gym
membership so I can stay in shape. We can afford a little two-bedroom condo.
Yes, it’s small. But it’s a nice neighborhood and I feel safe and I love my
neighbors. Heck, even the clubhouse and the pool are pretty darn nice! That’s
worth a lot, and I’m sure this place a whole lot bigger than many other homes
around the world! I have a reliable car and can afford the gas for all my
excursions. I can afford to go to lunch with friends every once in a while. I
can afford to buy some scrapbook paper or a tube of paint and enjoy my hobbies.
I can stay connected with my friends, with the world, and with all kinds of
knowledge because I can afford my internet and phone service. Heck, I can turn
my water on and make it hot! I can even drink it and not have to worry about
getting some horrible sickness from it. All I do is twist a nob! I have these
two machines in my house that wash and dry my clothes for me. And how magical
is this? If my little boy gets sick, I can take him to excellent medical
facilities with very sanitary conditions and know he will be treated with the
latest and greatest medical knowledge that is far beyond where we were even
fifty years ago! How about the fact that I love my husband and he loves me and
we’re really good friends? How about the fact that I have an amazing network of
friends and family who support me and make me happy? How about the fact that I
have a ridiculously adorable little boy who makes me smile and laugh and is the
light of my life!?
Yeah, perspective.
And that’s just scratching the surface. If I really wrote
out a full list of blessings, it would HUGE.
There’s always so much to be thankful for, especially here
at this place and time we live in. So much! For me, my life is nearly perfect.
I just need to twist a few things around to get it there. So, I’m basically
pouting because I’m a few twists away from a perfect life when so many people
would be dumbfounded at all that I have.
Think of all the women, all throughout time, who had
fertility problems and never even had any sort of a chance to do something
about it. They just prayed and hoped and waited and that’s all they could do.
It’s all about perspective…
Yes, I’m giving up a lot with that money. And I’m not even
sure what I’m getting yet. It’s like I’m standing in front of Door #1, Door #2,
and Door #3, and I’ve paid $13,000 just to pick a door and see what’s behind
it. And only one door has the prize. It’s a pretty huge opportunity cost, but I
have this chance to get another child and nothing can benefit me more than
that. Not a home, not a car, and not a trip to Spain or Africa or New Zealand.
Eventually, I’ll pick the right door and it will be worth
it. In the meantime, I am happy, I am blessed, and I am ever so grateful for
all that I have. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.


No comments:
Post a Comment