Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gecko Love or Gecko Hate??

I saw the funniest thing the other night. I was sitting here on the computer and most of the lights were off since Nick had gone to bed and that's when the critters come out to play. I heard a strange little noise and looked over and saw a gecko on the wall not three feet away. That is certainly not unusual - we have plenty of geckos who live in the apartment and since they eat the bugs we just go ahead and leave them be. But he was chirping (they do that) much quieter than usual and his tail was hanging off the wall and moving from side to side, almost like a cat does when it's ready to pounce except it was so mechanical of a movement. With every quiet chirp his tail would jerk a little, like the second-hand on a watch - tick tick tick, chirp, chirp, chirp. It was so odd!

Then I noticed another gecko just below him on the ground. Okay, they were obviously engaged in some sort of communication but was this a hostile kind of territorial call or was this like a "hey baby, check me out, I'm so hot," kind of a thing?

Luckily, my camera was in front of me so I was able to snatch a few shots. The gecko on the ground started to move away but the gecko on the wall jumped down nearby! I was on the edge of my seat... was I about to see some Animal Planet action right before my eyes!? What was going to happen?


Well, they started biting each others' tails! What the heck? At first, I assumed this had been a hostile communication after all but, who knows, maybe that's like foreplay for geckos? Anyway, they didn't last long and quickly dispersed. Perhaps they finally noticed they had an audience. At any rate, it made for an interesting evening for me. :D

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great story. I love the picture and I love those flip flops. This is awesome. I love to hear your stories. Love ya.

Curt, Julie, Claire and Andrew said...

OH MY GOSH!! That is so crazy! I can't believe they are in your house! That is so cool you got a picture of it!