Friday, April 30, 2010

Island Adventure

So we had a little adventure last night, although this kind of adventure is quite familiar to us.

It was 1:30 a.m. and, as usual, I was up late reading in bed.  Right next to me is a computer desk where I keep all my books and my reading lamp.  I was finishing up my chapter when I noticed some movement and looked to see a HUGE cockroach right next to me on the desk.  Needless to say, it was a little alarming and I gasped quite audibly, enough for Nick to wake up worried.  Getting out of bed to grab the Raid, I apologized and explained to him about the cockroach.  He got up to join me for the hunt.

This guy had us going pretty much all over the house.  He went from one desk to another, over to our dresser, under our bed, into the living room, behind the couch, under our television, and into the kitchen.  I was spraying wherever I could get at him but those buggers are hard to kill unless you hit 'em straight on.  At one point, Nick even grabbed his huge army boot and smashed him on the ground.  When he picked up his boot, the roach just kept running like nothing had happened.  Nice.

He was struggling after a few sprays and was running up near the ceiling in the living room.  There was a clear bowl nearby and I grabbed it and put it over him on the wall so he would stop making us chase him.  Nick handed me a piece of paper and I slipped it under the bowl to trap him inside.  I'm not sure where I was planning to go from there but I figured the kill would be easy with him in captivity.

I took the bowl from the wall, one hand on the bowl and one on the paper.  I glanced at Nick for a second and when I glanced back the cockroach was on my HAND!!!!  I screamed and I screamed loud.  First of all, it was so disgusting for this unnaturally large bug to be anywhere on my body and second of all I was not at all expecting him to be out of the bowl!  I guess my piece of paper was not a good enough barrier.  Duh!

So, I freaked out and dropped everything in my hands - cockroach, bowl, and piece of paper.  The bowl went flying toward Nick's feet and he had to jump out of the way.  Magically, it didn't break, even though I was standing on a chair when it fell from my hands.  After this dramatic climax, Nick quickly ended the hunt with a skillful direct-spray and then proceeded to laugh for the next half hour at my "sound bite blood curdling" scream. 

In the mean time, I worried that my neighbors had been woken up in the middle of the night by a murderous scream!  Hopefully they heard us laughing too and figured out that Nick was not trying to kill me.  I decided I would take a picture of our foe to defend my scream.  If this buddy unexpectedly ended up on your hand, you might shriek too.

No comments: