Monday, April 26, 2010

Kinda Irritated

There are three reasons:

(1) This Europe trip is really a headache because we can't make concrete plans since we don't know when exactly we'll arrive. That's the trade-off for flying so darn cheap - no cost but no certainty.

Making reservations for a place to stay, for example, is really not an option. Instead we have to have option A, B, and C to address whatever scenario we encounter. If there's no room at the hostel, for example - certainly possible considering we're going to major cities in the summer months - then what? Well then we need to have some hotel options nearby, but what if they are booked too? Then we need to at least know some place where we can park without being bothered and just sleep in the car (assuming we are sticking with the driving plan).

In other words, the flight situation makes an already overwhelming amount of planning become that much more complicated and it can be frustrating. I feel like I'm drowning in information and options, options, options! At the same time, if there's one thing I don't like it's people who are so very blessed and take it for granted!! So, I'm trying to keep in perspective how lucky we are to even have the opportunity to go, even if it may not be ideal or may require a lot of work.

Tomorrow I will make a MASTER list of all that we need to be taking care of for this trip - something we can add to as things come up and look at as a reference to keep us on track. Maybe that will help to organize my thoughts.

2.) My goal for the day was to sit down and make a menu for dieting. I thought I would just try the South Beach Diet again (it's been about three years now - yikes!) so I brought out all my South Beach books and started looking at recipes. Then Nick showed me this lady online who documented everyday of her experience with it and as I read through it I got more and more discouraged. She lost like 5 or 6 pounds in the first week and then after another three weeks she only lost 1 more pound! I'm sorry, but if I'm forcing myself to eat terribly tasteless food then I better get more out of it than six pounds lost in a month, especially if the bulk of that came off the first week and nothing has happened since!!

So I felt like it wasn't even worth it, especially knowing I had already tried it and had lost not a single pound in the first week. Then I picked up my Body-for-Life book and that looked complicated and turned me off too and I was just sitting there pouting and wondering why all this has to be so difficult. I hate not knowing what will work and what is best.

Anyway, I finally just figured, maybe I should just make a menu of healthy meals - ya know, try to cut out sugary things - and count my calories. Even that is more work than I am comfortable with - figuring out the calories - but at least it's not so complicated with 'you can eat this but not that' and 'you can have this so long as it is low-fat sugar-free and completely bland.'.

Nevertheless, I still have no menu made and that irks me. It irks me bad.

(3) I have been trying to change my template to some nice pretty one from hotbliggityblog.com but it just isn't working!! I've worked on it for a half hour and followed all their directions and it's still a no-go. Bagh! What a waste of time!

Any hints to how to get this to work, all you bloggers out there?

1 comment:

jrkaman said...

I am going to offer a solution for all 3 of your situations.

1) Take a list of phone numbers and just make your reservations when you finally land in Europe. It might waste a day BUT your mind will be more settled and you will be able to enjoy your trip more. I know it will work better for you to do that.

2) Try looking up stuff about the glycemic index. It really works and you still get to eat amazing food. Or get the book "Eat This, Not That" It has substitutions for every kind of food you can think of and how much you can consume.

3) Ask somebody to help you with your blog. There are a bunch of people in the ward who know how to do blog stuff. I forget who is in charge of the Relief Society blog but I'm sure they'd help you.