Saturday, we went to the Arizona Memorial and the USS Missouri. Dart told us that Japan surrendered and ended WWII on the USS. Missouri when it was docked in Tokyo. Sure enough, there's a lot of memorabilia from that event on board the ship. How sad that I didn't know, considering I'm a soon-to-be history teacher and have been on the USS Missouri before!
Anyway, after lunch we went out to Hanauma Bay. I have to say, I always enjoy Sharks Cove more since the snorkeling conditions are more favorable - it's usually more open and the water is clear. Hanauma Bay, however, does have a striking variety of fish that definitely outdoes Sharks Cove. So it was fun to swim with all the different fish and Dart had a good time with his underwater camera.
On Sunday, we did the Laie Falls hike. It is definitely a workout! The whole thing took us almost 4.5 hours, though we stopped for pictures here and there and stayed at the falls for at least 20 minutes. But the weather was nice - cloudy and breezy - and Dart seemed to enjoy the terrain and the exercise.
We spent the evening at the beach. The water was lovely and I could tell Dart was tapping into his inner child, especially when he started constructing a sand castle. He and I worked on the castle for quite a while and created quite a fortress! We happened upon a little crab and I tossed him into our fortress so we could have a resident. It was fun to chase him around the castle.
I thought it was cute that Dart kept going back into the water every five minutes, then coming back in to keep helping with the castle. He was definitely enjoying everything. It's fun to see people love Hawaii. It makes me remember how lucky I am to live here.
I'm sure glad we were able to visit and do such fun stuff. Something tells me Dart is going to be scheming a plan to get back here sooner than later. And that's just fine by me!
PICTURES:
Here is the seal on the deck of the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Click on it to see what it says! What a historic place, my goodness!
There are a lot of men who died on the USS Arizona and remained underwater when it sank in the harbor. Those who survived have the option of being buried there on the ship with their shipmates. These are their names and the dates they died. I think that's pretty cool.
This flag flies above the Arizona Memorial over the sunken ship. I must say that I feel pride and gratitude when I see the flag flapping in the wing. What a great country!
Sunday, we hiked the trail up to Laie Falls. Here is a view of Goat Island, where I went last Monday. Pretty awesome!
I love the green mountains behind me. Ah, the beauty of Hawaii.
We made it to the falls and this bottle of water was sitting on the rock. I just thought it looked funny, like it was either a booby trap (drink me, I am so enticing after a long hike) or an offering to the traveler who didn't pack enough water.
I was playing with my reflection in the water there. I thought this turned out cool.
And then there is the creepy rain drop version - mwuahaha!
The leaves in the water were so beautiful. I was trying to get a good shot that showed the cool colors. This one turned out pretty good.
This cool red dragonfly kept resting on the rocks near my feet. I got up close and personal.
I love this shot. Dart looks cool, casual, and in his element with his camera in hand.
And it wouldn't be right without a Team Taylor picture. We had the falls all to ourselves so that was nice.
Dart and I working hard on our fortress. I made the different quadrants and put holes in the walls for passage between them.
Then I chased our resident crab until he used the passage in the wall. As I suspected, he felt quite safe inside and decided to stay. It was rad. Click on the photo to see him in the hole!
Dart was the expert wall builder. We had a good three layers to keep the fortress from flooding by the rising tide! As you can see, it held up well. Everytime the water came dangerously close, Dart would yell, "Save the queen!" Haha!
















2 comments:
Sounds like the time you guys spent together was great fun. This was fun to read.
Do you see the image of one of the Beatles from Sgt. Peppers in the corner of the reflections shot? It's the first thing I noticed.
Post a Comment