Thursday, May 13, 2010

Goat Island

It was so hot on Monday that I just had to skip class and hit the beach.  I met up with my friend, Kate, and suggested we swim out to Goat Island.  It's a little island not far from the coast and I have no idea about the goat reference - sorry.  You can swim there in 15 to 20 minutes and even walk there when the tide is low, which it was. 

Most of the island is a sanctuary for birds and they take advantage of it - there are a lot of holes in the ground where the birds make their nests.  On the outskirts though, you have a mixture of craggy crab-filled rocks, tide pools, and beach.  The beach is small but it's a great place to swim as it feels so remote.  You are usually the only one on the island.  The tide pools are fun with lots of little hermit crabs living there.  And the craggy rocks are filled with movement as it's a popular crab hangout.  I caught this guy hiding out in some drift wood.  I didn't see him there and shrieked when I noticed him.  Oh, by the way, he is dead.

1 comment:

Curt, Julie, Claire and Andrew said...

That sounds so fun! We are officially going to be in Hawaii the end of July beginning of August!! I am so excited! I hope you will be there and have time to hang out! I really hope I get to see you!