Sunday, May 9, 2010

More Printmaking - Mermaid Lady

Yet another print of mine from my printmaking class.  The process is quite complicated, really, but the potential for some cool artwork is definitely there.  You have some sort of a plastic/glass panel that you etch out a design into with this pointy tool.   Then you mix this tar-looking like stuff together and apply it to your panel.  This is where it gets real messy cuz then you have to wipe the tar-stuff off the panel - but it still stays in the grooves you made - and then you take this paper that has been soaking in water and pat it semi-dry.  Then you put your glass panel on a big compressor machine with the damp paper on top and some cloths on top of the damp paper and then roll it on through the machine - all the while trying not to get your black-stained hands all over everything - and VOILA, you have the following. 

This one is a big smudgy but it still turned out good.  Oh, and it's a mermaid, not a serpent-lady as some people have called her.  I guess people just don't get me.  Should I have made the water black?  I've considered it.

1 comment:

Curt, Julie, Claire and Andrew said...

So cool! I love your creativity!