Monday, May 31, 2010

God Bless America

Today is Memorial Day.  I have been thinking how important it is that I stop and remember the sacrifices made for me.  I know many times this day has passed without me taking the time to really show my gratitude for something more than a day off work.

Which is odd, really, considering the fact that I have always felt great emotion toward my country.  Whenever I see the flag waving, I feel this deep sense of gratitude and pride in my nation.  I think 'How lucky am I to be born at this wonderful time in this wonderful nation where I have more freedoms and opportunities than so many others before me?'  And then I consider all the lives lost in order to build and protect those freedoms and suddenly those freedoms are not only precious but sacred.

My bishop told a story in sacrament meeting today about his father who served in WWII.  He came to Pearl Harbor on December 10, 1941, just three days after the Japanese attack.  His job was to dive in the harbor and help where he could.  When he dove under the water, he could hear men in the sunken ships banging against the walls, waiting for release.  But they could not get to them.  His father had told him, "I don't know what was worse - listening to their banging and crying for help or hearing their cries no more."  After two weeks, the ships fell silent.

In some way, I plan to honor the memory of those who gave their lives for this country.  There are many who have gone before and many who continue today to make sacrifices for the freedoms we enjoy and we must honor their memory by recognizing our great many blessings. 

God bless America.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You made me cry. I agree with everything you said.